Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Waiting...

My Vita stuff has started to show up; everything but the system itself at this point, which supposedly will land in my mailbox on Friday.  So at this point I have the games, (WipEout and Uncharted) headset, memory card, and case.  So, since I'm bored.  I'll give a bit of an "impressions" on these items, some gut reactions if you will.

Memory card: Jesus these things are small.  Seriously.  Smaller than my pointer fingernail.  I'm glad that these are apparently hard to put-in/take-out of the Vita itself, because I'm seriously afraid that I'd lose this if I had to take it out a lot.  The packaging for it, however, is overkill.  This damn near microscopic card is surrounded by almost 6 inches of dual layers of thin cardboard, along with a plastic insert to hold it in place.  I'm sure that environmentalists will love that.

Case:  I went with Sony's travel pouch, mainly because it looked pretty nice, had room for accessories, and was fairly cheap.  The pictures, until recently, made it seem smaller than it actually is.  Having the thing in my hands, it's almost more the size of a camera bag.  Surprising, but not unpleasantly so.  My only worry is that the system might shift around inside of it, but considering this case is mainly going to be sitting inside my laptop bag, it's not a huge concern.

Headset:  Again, I went with the official Sony headset, mainly because I liked the design of them, and I've had good luck with Sony headphones in the past.  Having used them for about a week and a half, I can say a few things.  They sound surprisingly good; clear, sharp sound, decent base, no tinniness to them that I can detect.  The cord is a decent length, and thick enough so it doesn't just wind up on it's own.  The earpieces themselves feel pretty solid: hard plastic, metal ends.  The PlayStation logo on the tip of the metal ends are shiny and cool-looking.  The removable ear pieces, however, are a bit flawed.  They come with three sizes: Large, Medium, and Small.  The Large and Small sets fit those descriptions, for sure.  The Medium, however, should be called Large Minus Two Millimeters.  There's not a easily noticeable difference between Large and Medium, and since Large doesn't fit in my ear, and Small doesn't stay in either, Medium is my only route, and it's a bit tight.  After about an hour or so, pain starts setting in.  It's something I wouldn't have complained about so much, except I also use these headphones for listening to my iPhone, which I sometimes do for several contiguous hours.

Games:  Obviously I haven't played these yet, so I can't speak to the quality of the games themselves.  (The rest of the internet will fill that role nicely.)  I can say, that opening the Amazon box, I was afraid that I hadn't received the games, but flyers about the games.  The cases are small.  I had seen comparison pictures online, of course, but it's hard to actually judge the size of something based on a picture.  That being said, the case size surprised me; they're about 1.5 times the size of a deck of cards, width wise.  The game cards themselves are pretty tiny as well; just a hair bigger on the surface than a SD card, but about half the thickness.  Again, I'm afraid that I'd lose these, which is why I'm glad the case I bought has a few slots to hold game cards.  This also goes to show that Sony really wants folk to buy games digitally; you can't trade in or sell a digital game, but at least you don't have to worry about losing a tiny card.

So, the waiting continues.  Hopefully USPS is correct on that delivery date, but this being Alaska, one never knows.  Here's hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment